Today is the first day of Brimfield! I'm planning on going tomorrow, and I couldn't be more excited. As a lot of you know, some of my favorite times of the year are the two or three times I get to go to Brimfield and do some hunting (see last fall's visit here). I love all of the people watching, great photo opportunities, food and most importantly, antique hunting the day brings. As someone who is very indecisive and on a low decorating budget, there have been many times that I have walked away with nothing. Even though the experience itself is what I go for, it's nice to have a momento and something you're excited about bringing back into your home. Here's a list of some go-to items I always look for, and that you can always use in your home (or in one case, on your wrist). Because the fact of the matter is that even if you're not looking for anything, you can always look for something-- you know what I mean?
1. Vintage Frames: Brimfield is the perfect place to hunt for inexpensive, vintage frames. They have every color, shape, size and finish imaginable and you can find some great gems for only a few dollars. Look for frames that won't need to be re-backed so you can use them right away. If they do need to be re-backed, your local framer can usually take care of that for you. I love pairing vintage, old frames with colorful, modern, more personal art.
2. Art: I'm always on the look out for art, no matter where I go. Brimfield is no exception. They always have great vintage posters, botanical prints, and funky little pieces that you won't find anywhere else.
3. Furniture: It is inevitable that you will find a lot of junky, old furniture at Brimfield. However, there are a lot of diamonds in the rough. Look for pieces with clean, classic lines that you will love for years to come (and not just because it's a bargain in the moment). I can not stress enough how much reupholstering a piece of old furniture can transform it into a totally new and awesome piece. So don't worry about the dated, gross fabric that may be covering your coveted piece...all the more for you to transform!
4. Home accessories: Brimfield is also a great source for fun knick knacks that will make your home unique and personal to your own taste. Whether it is old trunks that you stack to make a bedside table, a large buddha head to accessorize a bookshelf, or a vintage vase, there are a plethora of fun, unique items to choose from that won't break the bank.
4. Turquoise jewelry: One of my favorite things to look for at Brimfield. It is all about the hunt, and finding an authentic, history-filled piece that you love. Make sure to ask about the history of the piece because if it's a good vendor, they should know a bit about it. There are a lot of vendors selling turquoise jewelry, so make sure to take a look around before making an impulse buy!