Broccoli Ricotta Pie is one of my favorites and has become a comfort food for me. It is so simple to make and tastes just as good for lunch the few days after making it. It's cheesy, warm and delicious and virtually anyone can whip it together. If you prefer, it also tastes really good with spinach instead of broccoli. I use a store bought crust to make it even easier but I'm sure it would taste delicious with a homemade crust! Check out the recipe below.
1 refrigerated pie crust, room temp
1 teaspoon all purpose flour
3 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 10-ounce package frozen broccoli, defrosted, squeezed dry
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 15-ounce container ricotta cheese
8 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
3 large eggs, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Unfold the pie crust and sprinkle with flour. Place pie crust floured side down in 9 inch pie dish.
2. Defrost broccoli. Place in sieve and gentle press, trying to drain of as much water as possible.
3. Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until tender, about 8 minutes. Mix in broccoli, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Sauté until all liquid from broccoli evaporates, about 3 minutes.
4. Combine ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan cheeses in large bowl. Mix in eggs. Add broccoli mixture and mix well.
5. Spoon cheese mixture into pie crust. Bake until filling is set in the center and brown on the top, about 40 minutes. Let stand about 10 minutes. Cut pie into wedges and serve!