It's sugar cookie decorating time! I invited Gretchen (fresh off the plane from Europe) and Mary over to join in seeing as I made two dozen cookies and could not decorate them all myself. We blasted the Christmas tunes and cranked out some beautiful (and not so beautiful) cookies.
We've had this recipe in our recipe book for forever so I'm not sure where it originated from. I use the same icing that we use for our gingerbread houses, and it's easy to pipe and hardens quickly. I love these cookies and they're always a big hit on Christmas Eve (and for Santa of course). Scroll down for recipes.
3/4 cup shortening (butter)
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1. Mix first four ingredients. Mix dry ingredients and add. Chill for at least 1 hour.
2. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Roll dough to 1/8 inch thick on floured board. Cut with cookie cutters. Bake 6-8 minutes.
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup meringue powder
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
1. Mix water and meringue powder in electric mixer until peaks form
2. Add powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
3. Place in pastry bags with desired tips and start frosting!